Sri Lanka Tourism Updates
Post Easter Sunday Incident
Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA) under the guidance of the Ministry of Tourism Development & Christian Religious Affairs is organizing a mega tourism event during the Christmas & New Year Season targeting the tourists visiting Colombo city during this peak season. This event will include a food festival, exhibitions, cultural shows, a Christmas & New Year bazaar and carols to cater the tourists as well as Sri Lankans.
Dates : 19th – 23rd December 2015
Venue : Arcade Independence Square– Colombo 07
Key objective of this event is to create a setting within the capital city of Colombo with festive glamour showcasing a distinct Sri Lankan flavor creating an opportunity for both tourists as well as the local community to feel and enjoy the Christmas & New Year season.
In addition, with the use of electronic and print media it is envisaged to obtain the maximum mileage to promote Sri Lanka as a favoured tourism destination.
Other competing tourism destinations in our region make use of such festivals to promote their destinations and this will be the first time Sri Lanka will be doing it.
Target Groups :
1. Tourists visiting Colombo city and suburbs
2. The diplomatic corps
3. Staffs of NGO’s and other foreign organizations
4. Sri Lankan and other communities
Event Highlights :
01. Food Festival : Twenty (20) stalls presented by leading hotels and restaurants in Colombo will include live demonstrations of different cuisines giving visitors an opportunity to learn and experience culinary skills of Sri Lanka and sit and enjoy a meal while enjoying the festive glamour.
02. Exhibition of Sri Lankan Cultural Heritage : Presented by Central Cultural Fund which includes exhibitions of photographs, artifact replicas, books including live demonstrations of replication of artifacts.
03. Gem & Jewellery Exhibition – Presented by the Gem & Jewellery Authority. There will be an exhibition and a sales outlet as well.
04. Exhibition on Wildlife conservation- Presented by Department of Wild Life. This exhibition will showcase the wildlife of Sri Lanka.
05. Exhibition of Zoological Gardens in Sri Lanka – Presented by Zoological Department. This exhibition will showcase the Zoological Gardens in Sri Lanka including a display of live snakes.
06. Exhibition and Sales outlet of Sri Lankan handicrafts – Presented by Handicrafts Board (Laksala).
07. Exhibition of Ceylon Tea – Presented by Sri Lanka Tea Board. A showcase all varieties of Sri Lankan tea including a tea tasting centre
08. Cultural Show – Presented by Sri Lanka Armed Forces, Department of Culture and Sri Lanka Youth Council. All the performances will take place on a stage set up at the Court Yard of Independence Arcade to attract and entertain the visitors. The shows will be a mixture of traditional folk dances and modern dances befitting both foreign and local visitors.
09. Christmas Carols – Presented by Churches and schools of Sri Lanka.
10. Mobile Carols – Presented by “Colombo City Tour”- Ebert Silva & Company
11. Illumination of the Colombo city – Parallel to the event it is planned to illuminate the Colombo city focusing all prominent places giving a festive glamour which will be given publicity at national & international level as a promotional tool for marketing Sri Lanka as a tourism destination. The illumination of the City will be inaugurated by Hon. Prime Minister.
12. Bazaar – This will consist of several sales outlets for gift items, Christmas decors, Greeting Cards, sweetmeats and many more.
13. Other activities : The following activities will be organized within the premises for further entertainment
- Firework display
- Visit of Santa Claus
- Face Painting
- Games/quizzes/raffle draws (proposed)
- Kiddies entertainment area
For site suggestions and errors, please contact | Please use Downloads page to get the required software for this site